BPS Literacy Planning Committee 2020
The Bedford Public Schools is committed to making literacy a priority. With that as our shared commitment, we have created a Literacy Planning Committee that has representation from K-12 faculty from all content areas. The committee will work on creating a literacy plan that represents a continuum of instruction, curriculum, assessment, and intervention services for our students K-12.
Our MCAS scores have demonstrated that we have made some progress, yet we still have room for improvement. Several different cohorts have made gains; however, our students are not performing at the levels we would like them too. At no grade, and in no subject tested, did we have greater than 81% of our students Meeting or Exceeding Expectations in 2019. Some grade levels and subjects, such as Grade 7 ELA (YOG 2024), where only 60% of students are Meeting or Exceeding Expectations, are even more concerning. Furthermore, there are significant gaps in the achievement and growth percentiles between students in several subgroups and all students.
In addition to addressing our assessment data, as the literacy demands of learners continue to increase, it is imperative that we develop assessment and intervention plans (including a scope and sequence of developmental outcomes) that lead all students to acquire the literacy skills necessary for the 21st century. With this in mind, we will develop a literacy plan that will serve a variety of purposes:
● To inform instructional leaders and teachers about current, researched best practices for literacy assessment, instruction, and intervention.
● To develop a comprehensive, system-wide plan for literacy assessment, instruction, curriculum, and intervention, including a literacy scope and sequence that builds on students’ skills as they develop K-12.
● To address the unique considerations necessary to bridge the gap between students’ current literacy abilities and grade-level expectations by accelerating learning.
● To inform the professional development goals and needs of the district in the area of literacy.
● To inform the development and implementation of curriculum for specific courses, programs, and differentiated plans of instruction and intervention.
We have 29 Bedford educators that have joined our Literacy Planning Committee. This skilled group in collaboration with many stakeholders will create a district plan that ensures that ALL students in the Bedford Public receive appropriate literacy instruction to prepare them for college and career and life beyond Bedford Public Schools. The committee will work with subgroups throughout the district on the following categories:
● 6-12 Core Literacy Instruction
● Literacy Intervention Program
● Literacy Assessments and Use of Data
● Literacy Professional Development
● Resources, Funding, and Staffing
● Literacy Leadership and District Structures Supporting Literacy
● Scheduling and Grouping
The committee will be meeting several times throughout the spring. The goal will be to share the Literacy Plan at the end of August, and have this plan become an integral part of the overall district plan and each individual school-based School Improvement Plan. The committee will meet for their first meeting, on Friday, January 31st. This is a very exciting time for teaching and learning in Bedford. The response to creating a Literacy Plan, and implementing it collaboratively as K-12 system, has been enthusiastic and well supported. Look for updates as we begin to finalize a comprehensive plan.
Tricia Clifford, Ed.D
Assistant Superintendent of Schools